View Single Post
Old 23-02-2010, 15:25   #53
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: Brown asks Voters to give Labour a second look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm not sure that the electorate do vote on local issues in Local elections.......I think that many just follow the political banner and vote for who they were brought up to believe in.
And in General elections I am fairly sure that the same people vote in a similar way, rather than thinking about who would deal with local issues in the best and most efficient way.
I think that many of the electorate have become apathetic about both local and National issues, because in the main, they feel that their voices are unheard....or if they are heard, then they are not listened to.

This apathy has been compounded by the very fact that so many politicians seem to live in another world......Like that buffoon Nicholas Winterton......they are so far removed from the real world being experienced by their constituents.
I studied voting patterns in Ossy over many years Margaret, an although some do vote on party lines, come-what-may, others certainly don't, that's the reason Britcliffe has never even come close to losing his St Andrews ward seat since he first won it in 1983, people vote for Peter not for Party, same with Brian Walmsley, both their roots are in Ossy, and that stands for a lot in local politics