View Single Post
Old 25-08-2004, 11:20   #22
JohnW

Re: What has happened to Britain?

Hi Mickey,

Thank you for your reply. I do understand where you are coming from but don't see why you should blame the US because the Prime Minister aligns himself with their foreign policy. He does have the option, like every other country (France for example)so why not just blame your Prime Minister. The fact is, I think that the relationship between the two countries is misquoted in Britain. I don't believe the American people look upon Blair as someone who comes scampering. They look upon him, and the UK, as their greatest friend and ally. A country on which they can rely when tough decisions have to be made. He is very popular over here, as are the British people. We seem to be looking at the relationship in two different ways. I can only presume that the main reason for this is the fact that, of the two powers, America is obviously the strongest, so in Britain, it is felt that you are playing a subservient role. I can tell you that, the people of America to whom I have spoken, value the friendship and alliance of the British very much indeed, and look upon it as a partnership rather than the UK being subservient in any way. There seems to be a lack of self esteem in the UK at the moment which, it seems, does not allow you to look at the realtionship in this way.

Iraq is a debacle. Isn't every war just that? Was it the right decision to go in? Who the hell really knows? We, the public, only know a small percentage of what really goes on and are in a poor position to make a knowledgeable judgement. When we have elected our leaders we have to live by their decisions. It certainly isn't a perfect system but there is no such thing as a perfect system. It's the best one so far. We in the 'western' world, for want of a better name, are doing a hell of a lot better than anyone else. That is pretty obvious from the fact that everyone else wants to come and live in our countries.

Someone has to keep the middle east in check. Let's be honest here. Everyone says "it's all about the oil" so let's say that it is. The only thing the middle east has is oil. The only reason that oil is of any value whatsoever is western technology. If it wasn't for that, they'd still be grubbing around in the sand looking for lizards to eat. They just happen to be sat on underground lakes of the stuff that drives the economies of every industrial country in the world. But, that little area can hold the whole world to ransom. Let us not make any bones about the importance of the oil flow. If it doesn't flow freely, then the Western economies are in real trouble. If that happens, the whole damn world will feel the crunch. It would be a total disaster. People moan about America, but there is an awful lot of money leaves these shores for overseas aid, not all of it "official". Americans are very generous by nature and millions of dollars are donated privately to world charities every year. If we in the west go to the wall, the whole world will also. Quite frankly, I'll be glad when the middle eastern oil runs out and they weild no power in the world. There is plenty of oil in other countries. I believe Australia has plenty, I can only presume that the Americans are saving the Alaskan oil for a rainy day. They keep making excuses about 'environment' for not going in to get it, but it will be pumped out one day I guarantee it.

I am aware that I always jump to the defence of the US but I do feel very strongly about this subject. I believe them to be the most misunderstood people. I, for one, am very glad that the UK and the US have a special relationship because I have such a great love for both the two countries and the people.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote