View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 22:43   #81
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Howarth Art gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
What I know. Hyndburn Council has always been under financial pressure and the Art Gallery budget is £300k IIRC. (Deep grey cells at work)

About 4 years ago (Tory) HBC approached (Lab) LCC to investigate 'possibilities'. LCC have a big portfolio of museums etc.. (and are more capable).
Thats just it more capable at what, they would soon find an excuse to tranfer all the contents to somewhere Preston way and come with a load of barnyard confetti to justify it. Retlaw.
Nothing came of it but it was never 'put to bed'.

HBC's finances are a cause for concern. The mismanagement has been massaged by Government handouts which are being withdrawn.

I remember speaking to my predecessor Jean Battle who was a County Councillor who told me of HBC's view. County would be able to better manage and increase the budget of Haworth Art Gallery providing people with a better facility. O yes for how long, another load of bull. Retlaw.
There was talk of just transferring the management and not the building.

I have no idea what has happened in the last two years. More of the same?
Lets just hope its never brought up again, the Haworth belongs to the people of Accrington, its not up to the council to decide where the contents should be housed or who runs it, County has a long history of neglect, look at what they did with Accrington Fire Station, and how they ever come to own that beats me, something happened in 1948 which has never been made clear to me.
Retlaw.[/QUOTE]

I perhaps didn't emphasis clearly. LCC did not approach HBC or push this idea. HBC pushed this idea and asked LCC to 'have a look at it'. HBC then got cold feet. LCC never said yes. However LCC did not want to see HAG go the dogs.

LCC's view if it was asked to step in was to enhance HAG, not take from it as HAG had great potential. This may have included refurbishing the still abandoned stables to expand HAG reputation, exhibitions to a wider audience.

In the end as I said, LCC had no ambitions to take it on and HBC pulled out after enquiring and LCC just left it at that.

Last edited by g jones; 03-03-2010 at 22:46.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote