View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 15:20   #8
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Who's shaped you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
would really love to be able to have a reply like the first one - but the harsh reality for me is that I shaped myself...had a nasty, horrible and crap childhood, mum wasnt interested in me and we were often left alone and to fend for ourselves as kids and growing up was very much the same - was never encouraged to strive towards anything scholar wise...everything I have achieved to date has been through my own hard work..

this will probably be the only downer post on this thread...sorry.
So, while you had what you felt was a pretty crap childhood, and a mother who you felt showed little interest in you, you were, in fact, shaped by these events.
It is these negative experiences which have contributed as much as any other to the person that you have become.

My mother is forever apologising for what she now sees as a deprived childhood that she perceives that she and my father gave us.
I myself don't see it like that at all. My parents had seven of us, and life was a struggle....but we weren't on our own......this was common for many families growing up in the fifties.

It was a far different life then. We knew we were poor, and didn't ask for things that we knew our parents could not afford. We had lowly aspirations....we knew that working hard was the way out of poverty.
We were instilled with a healthy work ethic.
We had a roof over our heads, we were fed basic nourishing food(although I know for a fact that my parents often went without so that we could be fed).......and although we didn't have any holidays, we did have fun, books and a childhood that has shaped me into the resilient, resourceful, responsible person that I became.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote