View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 16:56   #10
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Who's shaped you?

Family & Friends, the area & environment I grew up in. There are far too many People & Places to state individual cases. But whether I view the experiences I've had as good or bad, seem to vary with the perspective of age.

Some things that may have seemed bad at the time I now look upon them & think yes, that's where I learnt a lesson in humility & respect, but as an 18/19 year old Lad it was a knock to my ego & I certainly wasn't best pleased about it, but as stated age puts things into perspective.

Leaving Home going to the Military, young Bucks invincible & untried, put into place by our instructors, we weren't such big men after all. They'd break us down then reform & rebuild us as better People. Soldiers yes, but with the inordinate sense of what it means to do a job that we may not like but for the betterment of others.

There is a special bond with Military People, which no matter how close you are with other folk can never be equalled outside of service, these are ties that bind, but also guide. These People will eventually head off into the wider World become civilians again & mix with People of all Colours & Creeds with, I would say a better outlook & tolerance of others, brought about by an acceptance instilled by your time under arms.

Admittedly not everyone will come out the better, but I honestly believe more are good than bad, so the Military & it's Traditions were my teachers who took over where Family & Friends left off. I've been out for some years now & my guidance once more stems from Family & Friends plus my own sense of right & wrong & what is acceptable. I am still being formed & as long as I live I will continue to be made by People & environs I will meet on my lifes journey.

Until my final breath I will not have been completed , but once that breath is done my form will be decided by those remaining. Friends, Family, acquaintances & colleagues, it will be they who finally define me as the Man I was.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote