View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 20:47   #26
Benipete
Resting in Peace

Re: Is this Tesco Director right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I'm not from Mars, I can assure you of that (no pressure-balanced physiognomy for a start) but whatever timeframe you would like to place on the comprehensive system 'experiment' being validated as an alternative to grammar schools, I know for a fact that I am not alone in being well-served by an education that was varied and flexible.

What is wrong with a system that tries to engage everyone on some level rather than shoehorning children into some pre-ordained curriculum in a desperate attempt to get statistics 'right' in Westminster?

Another thing worth noting is that I learned far more about life in the 7 years working at a cash-and-carry during (and beyond) my further education than I ever did sat at a desk in class. Most people's first job is a bit on the lousy side but it doesn't half teach you the value of money and makes you appreciate what hard work is.

Most store assistants that I have spoken to in any supermarket have been polite and helpful but since they are the ones doing the actual work on the shop floor it seems that the director creaming off £???k per year is the one who could learn a thing about biting the hand that feeds you.
On your first point I agree entirely,I went to Skerton Secondary Modern in Lancaster although I could have gone to Lancaster Royal Grammar School.The reason was one of logistics(love that word)The grammar school was the other side of town and I lived on Pinfold Lane Skerton opposite the side entrance to the school.

All years had A B C and D streams.I never strayed from the A despite rarely doing homework and never revising for examinations.I passed 7 GCE's before leaving aged 15 to become a bricklayer.(another story)

Second point, you should have paid more attention.

Third point,No one said the employees were unhelpful,The article was aimed at the demise of the education system.A point that you seem to agree with in one sentence but not in another.

One a final note,Stop concerning yourself with what one of the directors of Britain's largest private sector employers gets paid.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote