View Single Post
Old 14-03-2010, 07:40   #51
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Conservative candidate named.

Although fairly new to politics, it appears Karen Buckley has fought a campaign before.

Though sadly this resulted in the Conservatives losing the safe Tory seat of St. Annes North, and a seat at L.C.C.

Though I'm sure the experience will help her, in the relatively short time she'll have to canvass here in Hyndburn.

'Many thanks to all who helped to achieve this historic victory, which I believe is the first Liberal Democrat win in St.Annes North since 1927 when Alderman Charles Critchley held the seat as Leader of the old “Liberal Party” and first Mayor of Lytham St.Annes. This week’s victory is the culmination of 12 years effort over three previous attempts during which the Conservative majority has been progressively reduced from 1663 in 1993 to 488 in 2005. A massive swing of 12% this time produced a solid Liberal Democrat majority of almost 550.Special thanks are due to the Chairman of the local party, John Graddon, Campaign Manager Tony Ford and Agent Anne Fielding. The result of the Lancashire County Council election for St.Annes North was:

Howard Henshaw Liberal Democrats 2049
Karen Buckley Conservatives 1502
Bill Whitehead UKIP 614
Peter Stephenson Labour 296
Majority 547
Turnout 42.36% '
Howard Henshaw | Liberal Democrat Group Leader and Councillor for St Leonards Ward and Lancashire County Councillor for St Annes North

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote