View Single Post
Old 16-03-2010, 19:55   #1
Steerforth

Knight's Tripe Shop, Clayton?

Hello Accy!

My name is David Procter, and I live eight miles north of Ensenada, Baja, Mexico, which is about sixty miles south of the border at San Ysidro/Tijuana (fifteen miles south of San Diego). I am a retired professor.

My maternal Great Grandmother was Adalaide Knight who ran a tripe shop on Whalley Road in Clayton le Moors from 1900 - 1949. Anybody remember? I actually got a brick from the old abandoned building in 1978 just before it was demolished to make room for a new motorway.

My mother's maiden name was "Bolton", and she is alive-and-well at age 89, living in Allentown, PA, with my sister Glenys, who is age 67 and is four years older than me.

My Dad, Richard Procter, served in the British Eighth Army during WW2 and was at Dunkirk and in North Africa. Unfortunately, he died in 1969. Also, my mother worked at Broadley's on munitions during the War.

I was born at Rough Lee. We lived on Queensborough Rd. for several years after the War, and then we moved to Moss Hall Road until 1954 when we emigrated to the U.S.

I attended St John's for a year, I think, and then Peel Park for a couple of years. I recall dreadful school dinners!

We still have relatives on my father's side living in Church and Lancaster. We had relatives living on Dill Hall Lane for a long time until the 1960s. Also, relatives named, "Hampson", on my mother's side, one of whom is an author and a former COE vicar.

Any connections or recollections?

Cheers!

David
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web