View Single Post
Old 16-03-2010, 21:29   #7
Boeing Guy
JFT96

Re: UK Identity Cards

Quote:
I have just been told that a person holding only a UK ID Card - no passport, was not allowed to board an aircraft at Manchester. I have no information on where the flight was going
and there is the problem. We don't know where this 'person' was traveling, it is quite possible to use a ID card to travel to and from a EU state, the quote off the government website is here;
Quote:
when you go abroad - the card can be used just like a passport when you travel within the European Economic Area and Switzerland
However this card does not replace your passport and has no value outside of the EU. You would not be refused boarding, as you would never get that far, you would actually be turned away at check in, this is where the agent will check if you have the correct documents. Some airlines will only allow travel with a passport, regardless of EU rules. If the airline get it wrong and allow you to use a ID card, then you get turned away at destination, the airline have a duty to bring you home and can be liable for a very large fine.

Some airlines even require passports on domestic flights, it is a way of identity checking.

You have been warned.
Personally I have to carry my passport, even though I have a Company ID Badge, a Airport Security Badge (Airside pass, much harder to get than a Govt ID card) and if we stop anywhere I only need a General Declaration of Crew, always carried to enter any country in the world. it saves problems.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote