View Single Post
Old 20-03-2010, 09:32   #166
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: Watch where your taking photo's round here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'The latest newspaper circulation figures are in. While the Daily Mail continues its unstoppable march through middle England (with a small year-on-year rise in sales in December), the daily and Sunday editions of the Star are the only other national newspapers who are growing their audience.
Even the Sun, which threw a 20p cover price into the mix, was down 1.25% on December 2008, while the Mirror took a -9.01% smack in the chops.
The 'quality' dailies - the Times, Guardian, Telegraph and Financial Times - saw sales fall by 13.22%, 12.38%, 9.37% and 6.46% respectively. It's clear that Britons of all backgrounds just aren't buying as many newspapers.
Which means the old business model of highly sought-after advertising slots being sold at a premium is creaking.
People are consuming their news online, on TV and, increasingly, on handheld devices, but the mud in the eye isn't the news consumption, it's the ad consumption. Local papers have lost their classified advertisers to eBay and national newspapers are now competing with almost every digital device.'
Is the writing on the wall for newspapers? - Â*Markets - MSN Money UK

I'm not celebrating the fact that people are obviously buying less newspapers, but the evidence is fairly clear and factual, especially when circulation figures are viewed over a number of decades, rather than months.

Thirty years ago nearly everyone I knew in the area had the daily Lancashire Evening Telegraph delivered six nights a week. I only know one person who has it delivered today.
I stopped having it delivered nearly 2 year ago Kate, in fact the only papers I get now are on Sunday, and they are not delivered, I sometimes get the Observer if my Daughter brings one when she visits at weekends