View Single Post
Old 21-03-2010, 18:07   #66
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Unions flexing their muscles again

Never really had much to do with unions, but what I saw as I grew up seemed to be more about themselves (the Union Leaders) than the people they supposedly represented.

Back in the mists of time their intentions were quite right, the idea of looking after the little Fella, but as it became more a job than an honorary position & they reaped the benefits thereof, I believe something was lost, their fundamental reason for being slipped away.

I recall, the strikes of people like Binmen, Firemen & especially the Miners, in the end what was the net gain ? At the outset the public may have backed them but once it started intruding into Joe Publics personal life, any support rapidly vanished to be replaced by resentment. Who benefited ?

It wasn't the strikers as they ended up out of pocket & in some cases out of work with all the social implications that entails. The public certainly didn't, but the leaders managed well enough, always money for the management.

Modern unions tend to be self serving, they don't cater for their members just the boys & girls at the top, & when political parties have to give concessions to such entities it will be the people who suffer.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote