Thread: The Budget
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2010, 22:20   #16
andrewb
God Member

Re: The Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Given your Party wants 'An Age of Austerity', how will you pay for this allowance increase.

Being cynical I think you are trying to say Britain's debts are a tragedy and we need deep cuts on the one hand but on the other you'll be better off under the Tories. All this without an explanation of how.

Whatever Labour is, at least it is being more upfront, clear, with one just policy it is sticking too. Believe it or not you know what it is.
It's not Conservative policy to change the allowance in the way I suggest, as far as I know. They were against removing the 10p tax band, and were against the stealth tax in freezing the personal allowance though.

It is Conservative policy to start paying back the debt this year, which means we will save money on interest payments. Interest payments to bankers currently dwarf the entire schools budget. The public knows leaving debt just makes it worse.

Darling is now saying he will cut spending "deeper and tougher" than Margaret Thatcher's government did. I just wish he wouldn't raise taxes on the backs of the lowest income workers.