Thread: Wind farm poll.
View Single Post
Old 29-03-2010, 19:34   #65
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Wind farm poll.

I'd just like to point out that I've nothing against windmills per se.

It's their scale, in relationship to their surroundings, I dislike.

I was brought up by a dad who had a keen interest in renewable energy.

As well as building our first swimming pool in the early seventies, which was heated by solar panels he'd designed and made himself, we were probably the only house in Lancashire to have electrically powered lights in the black outs, also in the seventies, because we had a twenty foot windmill on the top of the garage, cobbled together from church pews, wheelchairs, and lengths of drain pipes.

It might not have been aesthetically pleasing, my mum certainly thought not, but at least it was in an acceptable scale, and smaller than the house.

It became quite a tourist attraction for a while, much to my mum's horror.

Tidal power can be harvested at actual sea level, and wind farms designed for off-shore use can be floating structures, which can then be anchored, and/or moved as needed. Built on land, and towed to where the sites were.

We should be investing in technology to produce our own renewable enegy industry. It could create thousands of jobs, and provide much cheaper power in the future, rather than subsidising foreign companies, who then sell the harvested power back to the National Grid, at whatever grossly inflated prices they see fit.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote