View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:03   #27
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I am not so sure. Rents will then be cheaper outside the red line where landlords have ample vacancies and no scheme to worry about.

With all the empties it is a very competitive market between private landlords. We might see stock consolidation with increased sales to owner occupation within the red line.
I can't see that being the case. They are being forced into a scheme which will cost money from the off, added to that all the obligatory tests & certificates they will have to present & renew on a regular basis will continually be pulling Money from the Landlords pocket, he of course isn't going to swallow these costs up himself he'll sure as hell pass them on to the Tenant.

Now if the Tenant is on Social it isn't going to bother them as whatever increase crops up, the benefits system will cover it. (See SJ's post #25, I see exactly where he's coming from) Yet those unfortunate enough who work hard & pay their own way are going to struggle as the costs to them rise. So they will be looking elsewhere for cheaper housing & probably move away from the area, returning you back to square one ! empty Accommodation which you are trying to avoid. So it appears that this proposed legislation will be self defeating.

I can understand the thinking & yes it is a good idea to make sure that those living in these buildings have good & safe standards in their dwellings. But those responsible for the implementation should also at the same time put forward strict & stringent rules to ensure the "Rental" costs aren't going to be used & abused, a cap perhaps ? or as with Army Accommodation, dependant on size, bedrooms & amenities pay bands be used. That way across the board the playing field would be even.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote