View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02   #29
steeljack
God Member

Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
You make a good point. I don't know if the council have passed it yet, but they were throwing around the idea of taking empty property council tax from 50% to 100%. Doubling the council tax on empty properties, presumably to encourage landlords to get their houses occupied. However I'm sure it doesn't make very much sense for landlords to ever have their homes empty, so I imagine they're always trying to fill them! It's going to cost them double to have it empty, and this cost too is going to be passed on to the tenant.

I can see a situation where Hyndburn suddenly has much higher rents, just at a time when many people are having to rent due to economic circumstances, struggling to get mortgages etc.
OK , heres my solution to all the empty houses , modern day families DO NOT want to live in 2 up 2 downs no matter how many improvements , they want more room/space , so whats the problem with the council allowing the expansion of two adjacent teracced houses being knocked thru to provide a decent modern day living space in redevelopment areas , cuts down on parking problems , creates an area density similar or less than new greenfield estates , Theres no necessity for Council tax to be doubled since the new occupants are using only half of the council ammenities and you have vibrant areas with families near to the down town business area ...... just an idea
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote