View Single Post
Old 14-04-2010, 22:37   #96
MargaretR
God Member

Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

I speak as a tenant in a housing association property for the past 7 years. Prior to that I was an owner occupier for 42 years (at 8 different addresses), and once even a landlord, when I bought a house for my son to live in.

The property I rent is not ideal for my needs, but the 'security of tenure' is an important aspect that having a 'social landlord' provides.

I doubt that I will ever find that little bungalow in a quiet district that I seek.
I still look, both on the B-with-Us and the private sector.

There appear to be widespread social problems in whichever area of Hyndburn you look at.
I sold my last owned property at a loss to a man with 'ringlets and a black hat from Salford' just to escape my neighbours.

Now that landlords in the private sector are coming to terms with the fact that their investments are worth a heck of a lot less than the thought they would be, it maybe is time for all rented properties to be regulated in the same way that social housing associations are.

At least I now have a 20th century bathroom even though I had to wait 3 years to get it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote