View Single Post
Old 16-04-2010, 06:22   #157
Ken Moss
Common Sense Member

Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eafield View Post
I’m not sure what relevance the car I drive has to the matter, but for your benefit and to clear this point up, my car is paid for by me with a wage I earn, working as an estate and letting agent day in day out.
It was emphasising a point about profit for Andrewb's benefit, but it's also something of a joke between myself and Garinda about a debate he and I had some time ago regarding 4x4s.

I'm assuming the vehicle in question is yours as you haven't stated that I'm wrong but it's a very nice car with essentially a private plate so if you've paid for that yourself you're obviously doing quite well, and fair enough.

I wouldn't call your landlording style into question as I don't know anything about you, but I've seen lots of cars on the street where I live come to collect rent and not a single one of them is what you might call 'reasonably priced'. I know for a fact that some of the tenants are living in shabby conditions which their landlords have repeatedly failed to put right, yet they themselves are evidently living in luxury. You'll forgive me for looking on that as profiteering in quite a different way from running an apple stall.

I would call that into question and support any scheme which sets out to refine trading methods and improve living standards, particularly one that is backed by some very well-respected landlords in Rishton and other areas. I will say yet again that bad landlords are ruining decent areas and people are getting fed up of it.

If you're a good landlord (and I haven't yet spoken to one that is against the idea) then why would you oppose the scheme? I realise you're not opposing it, merely the way it is being introduced, but at this stage something is better than nothing and if it has worked in such a large area as Salford then that's good enough for me.

It can always be refined, that's what councils are there for.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Ken Moss; 16-04-2010 at 06:25.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote