View Single Post
Old 18-04-2010, 03:26   #19
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Nouvelle cuisine in Rishton. Help?

At the end of the sixties and into the early seventies, I lived and worked far, far away in a place called Clitheroe.

Very up market they knew how to live the life of luxury there.

Just along Lowergate there was a restaurant??? It was run by a Polish couple, (back then not all poles were plumbers), we would head to this den of culinary delight after closing time, and be served with some of the best bangers and mash ever to be found on British soil.
It wasn't a trendy theme sort of a place, it was a very large wooden hut, food was served on tin plates, and the scars still remain from the splinters from the well scrubbed wooden benches on which we sat at large communal tables.
We would have to queue outside and you sat where you were put on entering, we never knew who we would be sat next to but the communal spirit in that place meant that this didn't matter many an interesting conversation was enjoyed between complete strangers and the banter and bonhomie, created by this middle aged couple, was far more enjoyable than could be found in the so called up market eateries that would close almost as soon as they had opened because in comparison, such places had no atmosphere.

Please excuse me while I go for a quick drool,

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm!

Sausages.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote