View Single Post
Old 20-04-2010, 21:27   #30
Stumped
Full Member+

Re: Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows7Guy View Post
Hello Stumped,
Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
The architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions
You can visit the official Microsoft Migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 site here: Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows
There are some nice videos tutorials and steps to take when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7. And yes it is true you cannot directly upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 you can take some steps to ensure a smooth process.
Thanks again and good luck!
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support
Thanks for your input. As my current system has only 2gb of RAM, I have been advised to forget Windows 7 unless I go for a new system with it preloaded. An expense I can ill afford, so I'll blunder on with the crap that is Vista Home Premium.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote