View Single Post
Old 24-05-2010, 23:29   #36
andy070170

Re: Bobby Grant Gone :(

Evenin' all,

Scunny fan in peace. Seems that most of you are disappointed he's leaving so thats a good sign. Would have been flapping a bit if the general view had been you were pleased to see the back of him.

I understand we had a bid turned down for him last week (just the opening gambit i assume) and that you boys value him arouind £200k perhaps with a few add ons?

If thats the case then i'd be surprised if it ever saw a tribunal, a compromise will be reached i'd have thought.

You certainly wont want to take your chances with a tribunal and will want the funds ASAP and we wont want it hanging over until next season so a deal will be done i think.

A couple of season we brough in Martin Paterson from Stoke and the tribunal was delayed until after the start of the season.

Here was a lad who couldnt get in Stoke's reserves and just had a few games experience out on loan in League 2.

We expected to pay around £150k for him but by the time the tribunal sat he was scoring plenty of goals in the CCC.

The tribunal werent meant to take that into account but of course they do, it's natural. So, we got hammered for £350k with sell ons on top. Thats not a route we'll go down again i think!

Scunny will be a good move for him if he's able to step up.

We are by far and away the smallest club in the CCC and cant compete with any of the sides in that league cash wise so we have to shop around the lower leagues and conference.

We bring young players in, polish them up a bit and then wave goodbye when a bigger club comes in for them

In the last few years we've shifted Andy Keogh to Wolves (850k), Billy Sharp to Sheff Utd (2m), Paterson to Burnley (1.2m) etc etc.

Next out the door will be Gary Hooper, who couldnt get a game for Southend's reserves when we signed him but has scored 50 in the last two seasons and looks like he's off to Celtic for the fat end of £2.5m.

So, all in all, if he's got the wherewithalls it's a move that will work out well and there will be few quid for everyone when he moves on - us with the big fee and you with the initial sale price and subsequent sell on.

One things that interests me though. His scoring record has shown a marked upward curve this season (i appreciate he hadnt played that many games for you prior to that point).

Has he been playing all season up front or switching between the wing and up front?

Best of luck anyway for next season

Last edited by andy070170; 24-05-2010 at 23:32.
andy070170 is offline   Reply With Quote