View Single Post
Old 06-09-2004, 15:59   #34
Tealeaf
God Member

Re: Barmy Bureaucrats throwing away our cash

I really don’t believe this. This is the quote that started this thread, by yours truly:

19.April 2004

Quote..”I've just read saturdays Telegraph website. The Bureacrats at County Hall in Preston have decided to spend money on putting up road signs reading "Welcome to Lancashire" on all the major roads coming out of "Blackburn-with-Darwen". They're already up on the roads coming out of Blackpool.

Is this not the most incompetent piece of bureaucratic nonsense yet devised? How much will this cost us, and why? Can anyone think of other examples to match this loonacy, from either Lancashire or Hyndburn Council? Unquote”

I have now had a quick look at tonight’s evening telegraph, and here is an abridged quote from the paper:

6th Sept 2004

Quote “Drive to cut road signs clutter
A REVIEW of Lancashire's road signs has been launched amid fears they are making the county look untidy.
Lancashire County Council's highways chief has ordered a review to make sure signs aren't cluttering up roadsides unnecessarily.
Coun Jean Yates fears many signs are now surplus to requirements because they direct people to places which either don't exist or now have an easier access route.

She wants to see, wherever possible, directions all placed on one sign, rather than on several staggered down a road.

Her move is backed by the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE), which, by coincidence launched a campaign to reduce the number of signs on the roads.

Coun Yates said: "Lancashire is a very attractive county but I am concerned that that is somewhat spoilt by the proliferation of road signs." Quote

For once, I am afraid words have failed me….no doubt some of you will wish to comment on how the good use that your money is being applied to.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 06-09-2004 at 16:00.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote