View Single Post
Old 14-06-2010, 06:54   #82
Ken Moss
Common Sense Member

Re: Just before the robbing Tory budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Think I have mentioned it before in other threads , but no one has ever come back with an answer ,........modern day familys with children don't want to live in 2 up 2 downs , why is there no scheme in place to allow a family to buy 2 terraced properties and knock them into one without having to pay double property/council tax ,think 125/133% is a suitable place to start talking, it would retain existing property, improve derilict areas and allow more on street parking. As it is HBC is losing money by allowing empty terraced housing to become derilict .
your thoughts ......
I agree to a point and there are several magnificent examples in Hyndburn of houses that have been knocked through. They are spectacular and anyone would be proud to live in a home such as those. It's quite expensive to do however and the return is not quite what you might expect, plus you have to consider what area the houses are in.

As an example, on Bridge Street where I live I would need around £120k to buy two houses plus at least £30-40k to renovate them into one house which I could never possibly recover on the open market. Such a scheme would require regeneration investment over a substantial area in order to make it viable and there isn't the money in the pot.

However, it's uncharitable to say that no modern families want to live in terraced houses because it simply isn't true. Terraced houses are good stock for the most part and much bigger than they are given credit for. A family with two small children can quite happily live in a terrace until a certain age, and with one child indefinitely.

We need a return to social housing for the derelicts and the property developers from Manchester kicking into touch.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote