View Single Post
Old 15-06-2010, 07:46   #15
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Is flying the national flag racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Even in the late seventies, when the National Front could have said to have hijacked the Union flag, you also had the Mod revivalists, a very racially diverse youth culture, proudly displaying the Union Jack sewn on to the back of their parkas, and dancing to ska.

No one thought of them being the slightest bit racist.
Further to what I posted in the other thread, about the Mod revival in the late seventies, at the time when the National Front was most active, new wave group the Jam performed with the Union flag, either on their drums, speakers, or as a backdrop.

Their politics were always known to be left of centre, especially so Paul Weller.

No one ever accused, or even thought, that they were in the slightest way involved with racist extremism. Indeed, they were involved with the Rock Against Racism movement at this time.

'I remember doing an RAR concert in Finsbury Park. Culture were the reggae band and The Jam did a support slot. They were a lot bigger than us, but it wasn't about the standard rock'n'roll posturing, it was more about people doing what they could to help. Everybody believed in the spirit of it as a way forward.'
Rock against racism: Remembering that gig that started it all - Features, Music - The Independent

The photographs of The Jam from this time, proudly showing them performing with the Union Jack, I'm only linking, because of copyright.

Link1
Link2
Link3

Last edited by Neil; 15-06-2010 at 08:31.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote