View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 07:28   #14
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Where are the jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I once had an interview for a very good offer of a job in S. Ireland, went to the Joke shop where I was signing, told them I was going for an interview the following week and asked would I be able to claim for travel & accommodation while I was away, yes I was told until I showed them the letter, then not only could I not have any help but I was told that I would have to sign off for the period of time I was going to be away and then make a new claim when I came back.

I was told that this was because I wouldn't be available for work if they needed to call me in.

I mentioned that Eire was part of the European Union and wasn't I therefore able to claim as we are supposed to be able to work anywhere in the Union.

I was told I would have to put a new claim in, in the country I was going to to cover my unemployment there.
A relative in S. Ireland inquired for me and I would have had to be resident over there for 6 weeks before I could claim anything, as I was only going for 3 days it wasn't much use.
I wonder if the European job seekers who come here, and claim Child Benefit for children back in their homeland, have to wait six weeks?

£1m of child benefit paid out a month - to mothers in Poland | Mail Online

If we are supposed to be a continent without borders, and free to work and travel anywhere, you shouldn't be seen as not being available for work, if you are searching for a job in France, Spain, Ireland etc.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote