View Single Post
Old 24-07-2010, 01:10   #33
glasgow guy
Senior Member+

Re: Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Coming out of Levenshulme last night, spotted (just about) a cyclist on a busy, but not that well lit road, no lights, dark clothing and on his mobile.. it didn't help that he was dark-skinned too ...

Agree, some very bad cyclists on the road, but can work both ways. My son cycles to work everyday and saw a comment on his Facebook page that he had developed a super hero power .. invisibility, which is only activated when he's on his bike and pedestrians are crossing the road or drivers pulling out of junctions. Yes, he wears all the gear including hi-viz waistcoat, etc.

Will always be disrespectful people on the roads and that can includes pedestrians.
I got abuse from a woman crossing the road because I didnt stop for her - when infact she walked out infront of me! I asked if she would have done that if I were a car and she replied of course not but I was on a bike so should have stopped...
and even if you are lit up like a christmas tree some drivers still wont see you..I have been nearly knocked off my bike by some drivers undertaking other motorists and coming up behind me in the cycle lane and then forcing me kerbside to get past, I have had cars overtaking on the other side of the road and coming at me head on ( but hey thats my fault he said?), I have also had car drivers open their doors onto cycle lanes when I have been going full pelt down the road and I can tell you its a hairy few seconds to then have them say 'oh I didnt know you were there - even though they passed me a few mins previous to get where they were at..
I could go on but its only the minority who dont pay attention, are rude and have no consideration to cyclists, likewise you get idiot cyclists who I do shake my head at when I see them as sometimes its cringeworty - I used to pass a girl on a bike during the winter on manchester road ( I am heading to accrington) and at rush hour she never had lights on her bike, wore dark clothing and no helmet.. and I used to want to shout at her to get off the road as she was a danger to herself and car drivers! scary brainless people out there!!
I dont use pavements, dont jump red lights, have insurance, observe the highway code and in winter I have 600 watt front lights which can be seen for miles (they look like light sabres on a foggy morning!) as well as high viz cycling jackets and I have my bike serviced more often than not..
does that stop me getting nearly ran over - of course it doesnt..but you could say the same for the car driver - they have their car, lights etc - does that stop someone hitting them - of course not..
I actually bought a little video camera (muvi) for the front of my bike so I can record my daily jaunts and pick up any dangerous driving as I go along..as I never know when it may come in handy..

Last edited by glasgow guy; 24-07-2010 at 01:18.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote