View Single Post
Old 24-07-2010, 14:24   #42
katex
Resting in Peace

Re: Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if a cyclist hits my car it cost me not them so they should have insurance period and although they may not cause as much wear and tear on the roads a lot of money goes on making roads safer for them like cycle lanes for example and it isnt free so i dont think its unreasonable for cyclists to pay their way these days.
Again, cycle lanes are just a way that we are being persuaded to get out of the car Accyman ... to accommodate them better ... a carrot so to speak, so taxing cyclists would just cancel out the campaign.

Like I have already stated, congestion is going to be a huge issue in the future if it is not being addressed now.

Not averse to some type of insurance for cyclists, and lots do have some form of Public Liability insurance, but not quite sure how it would work with younger riders ... lots of under 18's out there on the road. Does need looking into. Not compulsory at the moment though. It would cover the cyclist too if hit by a car and allow legal fees to cover any claims.

Yesterday myself, was driving around the estate at Clayton and three children (8 >> 13 years) were meandering in and out of the road ... playing over the road humps, etc., just having fun really. The youngest came on the inside of me and he had to stop before he hit me ... I did mouth a few choice words to him.

Then I parked up opposite the Woodlands on Whalley Road. Within a minute a lad of about 16 came belting along the pavement followed by another youth on a skateboard ! Minute later, cyclist was travelling very fast on the road ...nothing illegal, but no cycling gear whatsoever and the road is up for repair there and ironworks on display .. could easily have hit one of these bumps.

Faults on both sides ... can just imagine you cussing if a cyclist is proceeding correctly and not going quick enough for you ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote