View Single Post
Old 24-07-2010, 14:31   #44
glasgow guy
Senior Member+

Re: Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
of course cyclists should reclaim teh road and as soon as they pay insurance and roadtax to help pay for all the crap our roads are painted with to accomodate them i will be right behind them ( at 30mph so they better pedal fast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
road tax dosnt actualy go on the roads so you cant claim jack
hmmm in your top post you seem to say that cyclists should pay insurance and roadtax to help pay for the roads and whats painted on them but in your second post you say that roadtac doesnt actually go on the roads..

you have me confused now either it does or it doesnt but it looks like your contradicting yourself there..

and why should I pay road tax for a push bike -
do those motorised wheelchairs pay road tax? and they are a danger on the road - 5mph all the way..
and if I hit a car and it was my fault then my insurance would pay out 100% - like wise if a car hit me and I was to survive it I would claim on there insurance..
and you cant tar every cyclist with the same brush - if someone pulls into the middle of the road without looking over their right shoulder then they are fair game in my eyes - its the same principal when sitting your bike test - always look over your right shoulder as it may save your life one day.
this argument has been going on for decades and may continue to for years to come but one thing I do think that should be implemented is the following...its kinda the same as when you buy a moped..

when you buy a new bike you should have to sit a basic cycle test so you know your highway code - the cost of this £20/25? would be included in the price of the bike and test carried out at a local police station.
where you would be taught by a professional.
if you were to buy said bike and not go then its your loss as you would have already paid the money and its therefore gone into the system.

now that I wouldnt have a problem with as I see far too many idiots cycling down roads and going round roundabouts with totally no idea what lane they should be in..

what I dont get is a pcso on a pushbike pulling me over telling me I was going too fast - when I asked him what the speed limit was for a cycle he just looked at me blankly - I told him if I was going faster than the 40mph+ moving traffic then I would be fair play but the fact I am on a bike like him then its a waste of time stopping me..and off I went leaving him there looking a tit...
surely if the (ahem) law and I use that term loosely for pcso's are trying to uphold then they should really know what they are talking about..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote