View Single Post
Old 25-07-2010, 10:01   #55
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post

With the state of our roads, the left side of the roads can be a heck of a bad place to be, grates missing, sticking up etc - all will damage the cycle wheels & cause the cyclist to be thrown off & potentially under a moving vehicle.
Does this give the cyclist the right, morally or legally to make pavements unsafe for pedestrians?

Quote:
What is it with you all, moaning about cyclists not using the road, moaning about cyclists that are using the road.
Notice the title of this thread?

Instead of moving onto the pavements shouldn't cyclists be insisting on their right to use the roads safely?

Quote:
I'd love to be able to cycle to work in the summer, its the car drivers that do not pay attention to their surroundings that is one thing that puts me off doing so.
A very poor excuse, a cyclist by obeying the rules of the road and by riding defensively CAN use the roads safely.

Don't use bad practice of motorists as an excuse to use bad practice yourself, the pavement is a sanctuary of safety for pedestrians, you have no legal right to perambulate along it.

If, as I have already mentioned the Police actually enforced the laws already at their disposal, ensuring motorists took care on the road making it safer for cyclists and ensuring that without exception anyone found riding a bike on the pavement or ignoring traffic lights and other such misdemeanour's was prosecuted we would not need this discussion.

Strangely enough, I have a great deal of admiration of the cyclists that do use the road and do obey the rules, it's a shame that these heroes of the road are often lumped together with the poor examples set by the, 'I don't give a sod about you brigade' of ignorant riders.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote