View Single Post
Old 30-07-2010, 19:51   #23
kikine

Re: Views on capital punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I am sick and tired of reading of so-called innocent parties who have been hung after a guilty verdict. The cause celebre of the lot was Hanratty...numerous books were written about him, documentaries made and the law was changed to abolish hanging. Then guess what happened? DNA came along, his body was exumed and lo and behold! Guilty as charged.

There may well have been the occaisional innocent party referred to the gallows but one thing is for sure that while capital punishment existed in this country the murder and manslaughter rate was substancially less than what we have now, by a significant factor. Not only that - since it's replacement by penal servitude -the number of innocent people killed by prior murderers released after finishing sentance is now well into the hundreds. So get real and do the numbers - if you want to save innocent people, hang the guilty.
That 'occasional innocent party' was indeed an innocent party! I rest my case!

If you believe that DNA is proof of guilt, dream on they said that about fingerprints. DNA will only be good until the next scientific developement, even the man who discovered it said it could only be 1% of a conviction.
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote