View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47   #1
Gordon Booth
Senior Member+

A minimum price on alcohol???

I enjoy a drink or two at night after a busy day watching the garden grow, looking around Accyweb or some other usefull occupation.I'm not proud or fussy, I'll buy anything beer on special offer at the supermarkets. We can't afford pub prices,we can't smoke there and I don't drink and drive.The suggested minimum of 50 pence per unit will cost me quite a bit more per month which as a pensioner I don't like but would have to pay. And Tesco would make an extea £6 to £8 pounds profit on a 24 pack, so naturally they think it's a good idea.
In the meantime all our town centres will continue to be filled at night with teenagers and 20's who say quite openly that they have gone out specificaly to 'get bladdered'. As they are already paying around £1.50 per unit and quite happy to pay that till 2 or 3 oclock in the morning, I have to ask how will 50 pence per unit minimum alter their behaviour? 'Not a lot' as the comedian said.
And we will continue to fund taxis to get the poor things home and instead of the police having to deal with all the drunks hitting the streets at 11pm they now have a steady feed of them till 4 and 5 in the morning.On overtime pay??
What sort of council(or Sottish government) makes a suggestion which won't work, won't give it or the government any financial benefit, will give the supermarkets a huge profit increase and will mainly hit those least able to afford it?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web