View Single Post
Old 28-08-2010, 08:47   #166
The FSF

Re: FANs not criminals!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Although I did not see the incidents being described in this thread, I have seen stewards (and police) behave unacceptably at other grounds. Indeed I feel so strongly about what I see as increasing intimidation of football supporters that I intend to write to the Minister of Sport to suggest that the whole business is reviewed as a matter of urgency. It seems to me that we are rapidly approaching a situation where football grounds are becoming battle grounds - and it is not battles between rival sets of fans but between fans and stewards/police.
We at the FSF have similar concerns, hence my posting on this thread (that came to my attention via a Google alert) and work very hard to ensure fair treatment for all. I have dealt with many supporters who have been arrested unfairly or who've had complaints against stewards or police and have had a number of successes, some of which are documented on our website. We've also ran campaigns "Watching Football Is Not A Crime", have a bust card on our website advising you of your rights and what to do on arrest and will shortly be working with Liberty, the civil rights organisation, in a campaign against Football Banning Orders on application.

I am more than happy to assist with your complaints here, but if you'd rather deal yourselves, I suggest that one person co-ordinates this, collects statements and then send them to the club to ask for a meeting to discuss.

If you do not get a satisfactory reply from the club, then escalate it to the Football League for them to intervene and if you're still not happy after their efforts you can take it to the Indepedent Football Ombudsman for him to adjudicate. This is the official complaints procedure and yet very few, if any, clubs advertise that on their websites.

It won't be easy, in my experience the default position taken by clubs is "we're right and you're wrong" so you'll have to be determined to see it through.

If the police were heavy handed or behaved in any way inappropriately, complain directly to Lancashire Police - again, you may not initially get a satisfactory reply, but be determined!

The police at senior level are always willing to work with supporters; it may be an idea for the Ultra's group to seek a meeting with them. The Ultras are often misunderstood and treated like criminals; perhaps communication with them will break down the barriers. Flares are a big no no, but I find it very disappointing that these groups who want to do little more than create an atmosphere and bring a bit of colour to grounds are treated like hooligans and tightly controlled. If fans want to do a display with till rolls, ask permission first and agree to pick them up after the game?

Anyway, I digress... whether these arrested fans come to us or not, it is vital they seek legal advice (if they haven't already). Too many fans think it isn't worth it, or they may as well plead guilty "to get it over with". Big Mistake! Decent legal representation can and does make a vital difference. We've dealt with many fans who've been told they'll get a banning order - and yet they've left court without one, because they've been represented.

With regard to writing to the Minister of Sport, I'd be very interested to see what reply you get and I'd advise copying in the FA, Premier and Football Leagues.
Accrington Web