Thread: Faith restored?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 17:41   #1
DRFCMAD

Faith restored?

Faith Restored?

I am a Doncaster Rovers fan, always have been, always will be - “Rovers ‘til I die”. I have witnessed years of 4th division mediocrity, the fall into non-league and the meteoric renaissance to the Championship (division 2). Whilst not present at the recent 4-0 reverse by Craig Bellamy’s Cardiff City I did question my faith in my lifelong passion. Football is no longer a game of equals. Cardiff City, like several before them, has emerged from administration only to gamble thousands of pounds on players before the courtroom door had swung to!
Perhaps the Bluebirds, Crystal Palace, Portsmouth, Leeds and the like should be allowed to form their own “League of Cheats” – sponsored by HMRC? Or should that be “sponsored by Joe Public”?

And so to Tuesday 10th August, a rather unattractive Carling Cup 1st round home tie for Doncaster against Accrington Stanley. A game Stanley deservedly won even if only for their fanatical following! Non stop, beginning to end, 120 minutes of fervent drum bashing, chanting and singing. A revelation that prompted me yesterday to accompany my son to watch The Stanley entertain Wycombe at “The Crown” – international weekends do have their obvious benefits!

My experience at “The Crown” can only be described as emotional. It was, as my son Tom promised, just like revisiting Belle Vue (Rovers’ former ground). A concoction of open terracing and low stands – hardly what Lord Justice Taylor had in mind. With mandatory “Pie ‘n’ peas” in hand we took our place next to the Accrington “Ultra’s” – who purport to be “the best fans in England, maybe not by numbers, but by the noise we create and the passion we have for our team.”. A statement I now fully endorse. The match was preceded by a minutes silence to mark the sad death of “Coxy” – an Ultra original. Players, officials and fans linked arms in the centre circle in grief. The game was entertaining and highlighted by the 94th minute equalizer from the Stanley substitute Rory Boulding. But the most poignant moment was John Coleman’s walk to the Clayton End to applaud the Ultra’s and, pointing heavenwards, acknowledge “Coxy’s” last minute involvement. A manager and a club in touch with the fans.

As expected the match was accompanied non-stop by renditions of anthems, ballads and chants – the best (or most entertaining) being ‘Shoes off if you love Stanley!’ and the sight of 100 or so trainers being waved aloft! Hardly X-Factor. But the image of one 5 or 6 year old blond haired boy, at his parents side, stood on his chair and infront of the Ultra’s, gyrating his hips frantically to ‘Let’s Twist Again’ - provided the biggest smile of the day - even if he was wearing a Man City “Robinho” shirt. For me, like him. I was enjoying football – faith restored?
DRFCMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web