View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 14:33   #44
BedsRed

Re: Ray Putterill & Stanley in trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Ray hasn't played for us in any Football League game since the ban commenced, so no.

I do hope that this ridiculous situation gets sorted out soon and doesn't keep a talent such as Ray banned from playing Football League games for an incident in the pub leagues that happened before he even joined us.

Rob Heys said on Radio Lancs this evening that as far as the club were aware Ray's last registered appearance was made in a Liverpool jersey. They had no idea that he'd played for Halewood. If this account is true, as I believe it to be, it would be unfair to punish the club, surely?
Sorry Shaker, but putting my referees hat on now there are so many things wrong with that post that I don't know where to begin.

Irrespective of whether the signature on the report form is a forgery, and I think that people need to be very careful before making such an allegation, if the player committed the offence and had been punishes by the FA, the ban stands.

The player will have known he committed te offence and, presumambly that it will be reported.

The county FA suspensions do carry through to FA clubs. This I'd whyclubs at the level I officiate (where their discipline is an FA matter) take steps to ensure that their players do not play in Sunday league games, administered by the local FA.

The player is banned. It would be ridiculous for te ban simply to disappear when a player moves clubs. In fact, this is why when registering players from overseas (even at parks level) clubs need to obtain international clearance.

It appears, from the information we have, that Putterill was suspended. It would be interesting to see whether he fights this and how. It also appears that he may have lied to the club about his whereabouts inrecent months, and that should be an internal disciplinary issue. The club seem to have played an ineligable player. Ignorance or rank stupidity are unlikely to bemuch of a defence, so that's a realistic chance of a cup run gone.

Where this leaves Putterill is anyone's guess. I certainly wouldn't like to think that someone would be taking wages out of a cash strapped club whilst being unavailable for six weeks for misbehaving. If he's in a shirt term deal, this could affect his chances if making it longer. And I think managers would be wary about him after this.

And as for who checks suspensions? Well, someone must have done for this to come to light. I may be inclined to forgive the club not checking at County level if there's nothing to suggest he played there. Doesn't half make us look tinpot, though (and I bet Alty fans are enjoying this).
BedsRed is offline   Reply With Quote