View Single Post
Old 16-09-2010, 19:41   #381
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Refurbishment or no refurbishment , has the Market Hall a future ?

Both the market hall and the outside market have been in decline over recent years .

Who's to blame ? People like me . I go in the market hall to get my pipe tobacco , and the outside market for eggs , and sometimes fruit .

The rest of my shopping is done mostly at Asda .

That's the trend today . I would love to see the corner shops return , and the market to flourish . But the corner shops ( bakers , butchers , grocers , fruiterers , iron mongers etc. ) have nearly all gone , because of private transport and the convenience of buying everything in the supermarket under one roof .

I can't see the market being able to compete with this modern way of shopping . Mistakes made by the Council may speed the markets decline , but I think the decline was inevitable anyway .

I regret this . I much preferred the way of shopping a few decades ago , but lack of local shops and the convenience of the supermarket have changed my habits .

So don't put all the blame on councillors , for people like me are mostly to blame .
I take it you've never been to Bury market? I would advise a visit soon...it may change your opinions!