View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 20:51   #591
Bonnyboy

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

When they discovered the original flagged floor under the asphalt floor I believe English Heritage put quite a few thousand pounds into the pot ( 80k was what I was told ) on the understanding that it was cleaned up and returned to its original state. There is supposed to be a 4mm height tolerance across the hall floor, which is obviously not the case. I expected to see some sort of machine in there skimming the floor but instead saw some poor sod breaking his back with an angle grinder taking the high bits off a few of the flags.

Under the carpets at three entrances there are no flags, it’s concrete from when the entrances were re-floored prior to the old asphalt going down. The carpets got put there as a quick fix for the “Re-opening Ceremony” earlier in the year. The concrete was supposed to be dug up and new flags installed. Heard that there was no cash left, the cost would be 16k and that the Council had no intent of paying.

A few members of the public have already fallen either tripping on the carpets at the entrances or on the flags themselves. Dunno if any compensation claims have been lodged.