View Single Post
Old 17-10-2010, 15:41   #116
shakermaker
God Member

Re: Rotherham Match Thread

A view from a Rotherham fan (with more than one brain cell, unlike our recent visitors here):

Quote:
I was told before today's match that Accrington is the worst ground in the football league. Obviously the guy who told me this doesn't have the same enjoyment of standing terraces and small grounds that I do: I loved it.

The game was an entertaining one too, with chances and worries for both sides (and a heck of a lot of frustration with some of our players). Our mistake let Stanley in for their first, but we were quickly back on level terms with an Alfie penalty (at the distance of the other end of the pitch, it's difficult to say whether there should be any complaints from their fans, but assuming it was a foul then it was a definite red from Alf's position). Against 10 men we should have capitalised on a string of chances but be it due to fantastic saves (one from a long range Alfie shot), superb defending (last ditch overhead kick) or an inability to shoot effectively we just couldn't nudge in front.

Stanley's second was a superbly taken goal. We went into a wobble for a while and it was obvious that changes were needed. Every time something happened with Kevin Ellison I got nervous, as the ref seemed to have it in for him, not that he was being particularly ill tempered (that was Tom Pope) and there was a fair bit of tension on the pitch. We had the ball in the back of the net a few times only to be called offside (which I wasn't particularly convinced by) and then the changes that were needed came. Marshall came on for Ellison and looked fairly bright. Jason Taylor, despite playing very well so far this season, had a mare and when Harrison replaced him things started to look better. We started to create again but the headers were weak and straight at the keeper. Then Exodus sneaked one in for the equaliser with ten minutes to go - this one wasn't a particularly strong header either but the defender and keeper seemed to distract each other to let it in. Exodus is the most popular loan player we've had for ages, and I was delighted he got a goal. Ryan Taylor (who should clearly be starting) hit the post and by this point Accrington were really starting to look tired. They are obviously a talented side, but in many ways I think that was their undoing today. Where many teams would plant ten men behind the ball when they've lost a man and are one goal up, Stanley still tried to play and did well at it, until they ran out of steam and Cresswell popped up for the winner. Though I'm delighted to have won, it looked to me an obvious foul, but considering the odd kick here and there that were coming from Stanley, my feelings about the earlier offsides and oh, the fact that I'm a Rotherham fan, it's something I'm not going to complain about (though if I were a Stanley fan I think I would be).
I see Coley has blamed Dean Winnard both in the dressing room and publicly (http://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/index.php/newsy/3632). Sometimes players need a dressing down in order to move forward. I did raise the point a few weeks back of him not looking at his best. Dean's a talented and intelligent professional and will benefit from experience. We all need mistakes to learn from. The boss will judge if a spell on the sidelines is necessary.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote