View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 20:11   #769
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Yep..the likes of Titus Salt and the Quakers certainly looked after their workers. Subsidised superior housing, free education for the kids, healthcare...but no pubs. Still, they were paid in cash and they had the option as to spend their money in the company shops or not. And of course, they were an exception - no wonder there was a waiting list to join them.
Again, digressing.

The workers in the places I named were paid in cash, and therefore did have some option of choice, as to where to spend that money.

Though in reality, if you lived in Saltaire, working six days a week, you could always journey into Bradford to do your shoping, on your solitary day off.

There wouldn't have been many places to spend that money. The Sabbath being a day when trading was forbidden.

They say history always repeats itself.

With the opening of the massive new Tesco store, it probablty will.

No councillors willing to share yet, just how much Tesco donated to council coffers?

How about how much the new road works and roundabout's cost? I know that falls under L.C.C., but any ideas?

Can't be much change out of a million quid, considering the tiddly little roundabout on Haslingden Old Road cost £800,00.00.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote