View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 19:45   #244
JCB

Re: Free grit for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Mine arrived.

To be honest, I've been really disappointed by a lot of comments on this thread.

Last year LCC got caught out with the snow and didn't provide enough grit in the bins. HBC were powerless because LCC manage all the gritting so this year tried to do something positive to help the residents.

Unfortunately they got caught out a bit by the early snowfall. I don't know about you, but I can't remember it snowing before Christmas for many, many years - who could have predicted that?

They did their best to get the word out through normal channels - i.e. website, papers, area management meetings etc - so if you didn't find out about it, it's because you actively avoid finding out. It's been a topic of discussion on here for about a month so there's no excuse for not knowing and then subsequently missing out. You can't blame the council for that - they did their best to let everyone know without incurring more costs.

As for the costs - the first post from Ken says that Cllr Ciaren Wells had calculated that it would cost £6.6m to do this. In reality it's been little over £16k. Heaven help us if someone with those maths skills ever gets in power.
Like you , Gayle , I've been disappointed by much on this thread .
It shows the shallowness and pettiness of politics in Hyndburn .

It carries over to this week's Accrington Observer .
Miles Parkinson submitted a motion to Tuesday's council meeting . The Labour group has accused the council of failing to deliver on its promises of free grit .

Peter Britcliffe rightly says that the unanticipated bad weather has slowed down deliveries . To me that is a valid response .

So Cllr Parkinson stop playing silly beggars .

In the same Observer a report shows that Peter Britcliffe is prattling on about Graham Jones' Parliamentary expenses . Graham Jones rightly points out the expense of living in London , and gives a valid justification for his expenses .

So Cllr Britcliffe stop playing silly beggars .

Once again , and I suppose it won't be the last time , we have examples of petty party politics .

A plague on both your houses , Tweedledum and Tweedledee .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote