View Single Post
Old 30-09-2004, 23:15   #63
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: Execution in Iraq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
The King James Version as far as I am aware, which I picked up from a mormon site.
Well that is the first English translation and the one I prefer to use. I once toyed with the idea of trying to learn to read the older things like Latin or even Hebrew/Greek but never got very far with that. I used to know a man who went to Cannon St Baptist church many years ago (He's dead now) and he was a great scholar, had studies lots of 'original text' and knew a great deal of background. He was amazing to talk to. Of course the Greek wasn't even original either because Jesus and his companions spoke Aramaic.

Of course to really understand you have to keep the verses in context. It's possible to make things say anything you like if you string a few bits together out of context. If you travel on a bit further from the verse about the sword you'll find that they had 2 and Jesus said that was enough - but later in Gethsemane when one was used to chop off the ear of a Roman soldier, he restored the ear. So he wasn't telling the disciples to attack the Romans by the look of that.

What was the site you were looking at?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 30-09-2004 at 23:16. Reason: typo correction
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote