Thread: gypsys
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52   #137
Boeing Guy
JFT96

Re: gypsys

Many many years ago, I sold cars for a living, one August in the mid 90's we had a Traveller/Gypsy come in to our showroom. He was in his mid 20's and decided to buy a £60,000.00 Mercedes Benz SL280. We had to de-badge it and replace the badges with SL600 and V12 decals.

The night before he collected it, he asked me to organise fitting his stereo (in those days Mercedes did not fit one as standard), I told him we would try and he brought in several large boxes containing Sub Woofer, speakers and the unit itself, being 4.40pm I told him that we could drop the head unit in, but if he wanted the rest he would have to do a deal with the mechanic, he offered him £20.00 to do the lot. Our mechanic politely declined, the customer was not very happy, I did mention if he was prepared to give our lad a few £100, then he would happily work into the night, the customer was amazed at that!

Anyway the next day he and his girlfriend arrive, very scruffily dressed, she in white high heels, and two Tesco Bags full of £10.00 notes.
Our accountant was not happy at having to count £59,000.00 cash, (he had left £1000.00 deposit in used £10.00 notes as well), still it was interesting.

The gentleman and his girl spent most of the day playing with the roof of the car and trying to persuade the mechanics to fit his stereo for nothing.

This guy and his fellow travellers, did not pay any taxes, everything was in cash. Interesting culture.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote