View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 00:23   #91
talentedbutslow

Re: Hanna Street School

I went to Hanna St school in 1950 and subsequently to Spring Hill and then Accrington Grammar .I lived in Marsden st...mum liked the fish and chip shop at the corner of Ormerod and Richmond Hill St.I remember there was a sweet shop next door (Mum also liked Walls ice cream). Mum sent me to the barbers on the corner of Richmond Hill st and Holden St just around the corner from Hanna St school.Just down Ormerod St were quite a few shops.On the left a newsagent, opposite was a sweet shop,think there was a dress shop,but it,s a long time ago,can,t remember.I used to deliver newspapers for a newsagent at the corner of Higher Antley St and Garbett St(best time of the year was Xmas as I went round begging for tips....very successfully).My first job after leaving school a year early was at the first Supermarket in Accrington...Maypole ..which opened up on Broadway. I then went on to join dad at Howard and Bulloughs at Stevenson St and worked there for a few years before migrating to Australia.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web