Thread: Never to old!!
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32   #19
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Never to old!!

What an extraordinarily brave old dear, my total respect to her for getting stuck in when more able bodied stood around & watched. She was fortunate not to suffer injury, but it reinforces a more dismaying aspect of the modern society, that of well it's not my concern so why get involved.

I personally have been involved in situations were I have stepped up to intervene in something I find to be wrong. A sense of propriety & ingrained attitudes of right & wrong has overridden my sense of self preservation as many others of a certain generation, mindset & upbringing are also wont to do.

It is only afterwards when the adrenaline surge & the burst of what is fair & righteous has ebbed that we tend to think of possible consequences to our actions. The risks & dangers our civil courage at that moment may have exposed us to are laid bare & cold reality hits home, the possibility of hurt & hospitalization are very real. Still I personally would intervene again as I believe it is just part of my nature.

Foolish maybe, but a part of myself that I can't & won't be separated from as it is ultimately something that defines me.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote