View Single Post
Old 13-02-2011, 19:30   #331
blackburnlad

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Take a look at the little section of the OS map I stuck on here the other night. The premises I marked with a red cross is the premises in the photo(s). Next count the individual properties from the corner of Peel St, where almost everyone agreed was the start of Whalley Rd. You have number 1 on the curved corner of Peel St, then 3, 5, 7, 9 (then there's a yard or something), then the last property on that block (number 11), cross Marquis St and you have the Slaters Arms at number 13.

Pubs changed names at times, sometimes even changed house number / premises number, but I'm convinced that the pub in the photo was number 13 Whalley Road when the photo was taken (not 21 and not 23).
There was a lot more property on Whalley Rd from the top of Peel St, to the junction with Marquis St. Peel St wasn't always as wide as that, and the numbers didn't jump the empty space, you refer to as a yard, empty plots which were intended for property, were included in the numbering system, when house numbering became compulsory in the late 1850's.
Your 1909 map may be right for that year, but thats all it is, right for that year.
There are many streets and roads in Accrington with gaps in the numbering system Warner St has been renumbered from top to bottom and bottom to top twice since 1860.

Retlaw.[/QUOTE]

By the way katex, you question the fact that house numbers could ever have been changed on Whalley Rd (your comment about letters and parcels whizzing here and there). Now I realise that Whalley Rd is a damn sight longer than Warner Street, but Warner Street is quite a length isn't it? Well in the comment above, the historian himself declares that Warner Street has been re-numbered twice.

I think the re-numbering of Whalley Road has something to do with the creation of Broadway in the early 1930's and I aim to get to the bottom of it.

I'll be back next weekend to see what else our Walter has come up with.
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web