View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 23:17   #20
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: Nuisance telephone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
When you get a cold caller, don't hang up. Put the handset down but don't put it back on the cradle or switch off. Whilst your phone is still connected to that call, the cold caller cannot ring out on their phone until you hang up. You will hear all sorts of banshee like screams and alarms coming from your phone, telling you to hang up, but it's a good feeling when you know that the nuisance caller is getting a taste of their own medicine, and deny them the opportunity to do their job and earn some commision.

I learned of this technique from my cousin who works for BT.
I actually do this. It's not the caller's fault though is it? I almost feel sorry for them. They are just doing a job after all but I got so fed up with the same calls over and over again when I've already told them I have nothing left to double glaze or no outstanding credit cards debts that I wish to amalgamate into one low monthly payment. So, I started just putting the phone down and carrying on with what I was doing, from time to time picking it up to listen if they were still there and half the time they were! Still waffling on about the benefits of their product!!

A couple of days ago I got really annoyed with Oxfam. I make a regular donation to them, presuming it went to help disadvantaged people somewhere in the world (flood and famine victims that kind of thing) I didn't expect it to be wasted on phone calls telling me what they are spending it on. I told them I didn't want to know, I just wanted them to stop wasting it - but the caller didn't seem to get the point and continued to chunner. So I told him that if he didn't cease I would cancel my donation because I didn't intend it to go towards funding nuisance phone calls. Even then he didn't shut up, so I hung up. He's probably made a note somewhere that I'm a very grumpy so and so.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote