View Single Post
Old 19-02-2011, 06:55   #12
Boeing Guy
JFT96

Re: would you support protest?

Hmmm, a bit of a can of worms here.
When Teflon Tony, banned all noisy protest out side parliament, I did not see many people shouting revolt.
Under the last government we saw our freedoms go one by one, thankfully we did not get the ID card.
And Dave and Nick are not having that a good time either.

BUT to take the fact that Mancie and I are on differing sides of the political fence out of this discussion here...

We in the UK have rights, we can go where we want, when we want, with whoever we want and have no fear of being reported, arrested, beaten or killed.
When I lived in Morocco, I as a westerner, had to carry photographic id with me at all times, could be stopped and questioned in the street, if I wanted to purchase anything over a value of £50.00, I had to prove my address, could not say publicly anything about the King, (who is a direct descendent of Allah), carry a bible or practice Christian worship.
Now this was a liberal Muslim state, I have been to a few that are not as free as there.
My house maid, she lived in a corrugated shed with her family, the money I gave her, which was double what we originally agreed on, helped her obtain clothes, furnishings and even a Mobile phone, she had never had one before.
We are so used to going to the shops and getting food, booze, clothes with no real problems, even those on benefits, something they do not have in Morocco or other Arab States.
Finally wealth, well I have never seen so many Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lamborghini's etc, I even say a few Pigani Zonda's down there anywhere else in the world, as I saw on a daily basis in Casablanca, in Africa you are either filthy rich or filthy poor.
Now that is something worth fighting for.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote