View Single Post
Old 24-02-2011, 23:05   #9
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Editing and deleting posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you think those type of posts should be left on?
No, and as Cashman hinted I don't want to criticise any moderators, because that too would break forum rules.

However quite honestly I'm struggling to see any logic, in deciding which posts are deleted, and which remain untouched.

I'll state as fact that some recently deleted posts, although like thousands of others may have veered off topic, were definitely not 'argumentative and insulting'. Certainly no more so than posts that remain in the heavily edited thread. Including at least one post in the hacked thread, which could be argued contains at least two insults aimed at other members. Some of those deleted would have been seen as attempting humour, at least in the eyes of most people.

Rules should not be applied on a whim, willy-nilly, and in an arbitrary fashion.

Well they can be.

But as stated earlier, people wouldn't want to play a lottery game for long. Guessing if their very similar posts might, or might not be deleted.

I'm genuinely not criticising anyone.

Just trying to make sense of something that to me shows very little logic.

I've always had the utmost respect for the way this site is moderated, but this editing baffles me.

As in any society, if the law is deemed to be unfair, people soon get fed up.

A few might remain, a few might protest. Most will simply go elsewhere.

So we can learn from this, I'm more than happy if my own deleted posts are reproduced here, with an explanation as to why each needed removing, whilst similar are allowed to remain.

I'm sure all members would then know what to avoid, so as to create less work for the moderators.