View Single Post
Old 28-02-2011, 18:35   #23
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Foreign aid - No cuts. But a rise.

I bet if people were allowed a referendum, asking if we should give regular foreign aid to other countries, there'd be an overwhelming no vote.

If asked, I presume most people would say they'd prefer the choice of deciding where their charitable donations went, and to whom.

There's certainly no doubting our nation's generosity, when it comes to independently giving our money. As witnessed everytime there's a crisis, or disaster in the world. We're right up there, as one of the world's most generous nations, when it comes to sending independent donations to specific causes.

I also presume not many would object to a government pool of money, which could send financial aid to targeted disaster zones in times of emergency.

What the majority of people are sick and tired of, which politicans of all parties fail to understand, is that whilst every other budget is being cut at home, the amount we give in foreign aid is not only protected, but is to be increased.

This is aside from the fact that people are wary of regularly funding certain countries, and worry that it actually helps those who live there that are in real need. There is evidence that aid to certain African countries goes to shore up dubious political leaders, and also fund arms purchases.

There was an Indian university lecturer interviewed on the BBC news this morning. He said, like many other people he knew, that he didn't pay any tax. As the government relied on funds provided in foreign aid, and wasn't reliant on revenue raised fron taxes. Although it's growing, percentage wise India's blue and white collar class is small, though in actual numbers it's massive. Very nearly the same as the working population of the UK. I mention this only because up until now India has received massive foreign aid from the UK, despite their space, and nuclear programmes.

If we are to send regular foreign aid to various countries, at least have the decency that it should be subject to the same rate of cuts as we are experiencing domestically.

Otherwise people start thinking they are being taken for idiots, and this could lead to them seeking support from those groups who are outside the political mainstream...at present.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote