Thread: World War 1
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57   #168
bekibird

Re: World War 1

I wonder if you can help with this one...
I think I posted some time ago about my ancestor John Southworth. I have found out that he served in the Great war and was part of the Loyal North Lancs Regiment. The number given on his service record is 2874.
He is a bit of an enigma as his obituary in The Accrington Observer (18th Feb 1933) says he served as a painter and decorator with the Accrington and Church Co-operative society for 23 years (he died in 1933 - so his employment would have begun in around 1913), served in The Great War and was a prisoner of war in Germany for over three years.
John was not born in Accrington, but in Chorley in 1884. On his service records he lists his residence as being 40 Peel Hall Street Preston. I find this odd since he was working for an Accrington based firm in 1913, but joined the army in 1914.
I would really like to find out about his time spent as a prisoner of war and also about when he got back. He married his wife Esther in 1927 and died in February 1933, where he was buried by the Accrington and Church Co-operative society.
I am not sure if John was really an Accrington man, but he ended his days as one, dying at 24 Maden Street, Accrington. If anyone can provide help on how to find out where he would have been held in Germany I would be very grateful.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote