Thread: World War 1
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 18:59   #173
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekibird View Post
Wow!! Thanks for the speedy replies!! It makes sense that he was in Accrington around the time he joined up! His army records show that his medals and effects were sent to his mother Elizabeth - she signed for them - and also that he was missing, presumed dead. What a terrible thing for a family to go through, when he was alive, albeit somewhere in Germany. I will get on with having a look at newspapers in Preston around the time as the Preston address is where it is listed his mother and father were living when he joined up. Thanks again.
Is there a copy of the welcome home ceremony attendees Retlaw? I would very much like to see it.
I've had a look at John's surviving records, and there are several papers missing, his medical report would have shown his state of health & when he was discharged. His Z11 would have shown where he was going to live on discharge, there is also an anomaly as to why his mother acknowledged reciept of with B.W.M. & V.M., whilst John signed for his 15/15 star in 1920.
You say he was born in 1895, then he would have been in employment in 1910, possibly from when he was 12 or 13 years of age.
During my searches I have found several mens papers in the wrong file, so if I come across any of his papers, I will save them and send them on. I always report these errors to Ancestry.
I got an acknowledgement from Ancestry last week, for the last batch of errors I sent in, 13 men wrongly named
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote