View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 15:25   #43
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: This isn't racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Thank you for making that clear Garinda.

As an Arts Centre, I see our role to challenge things and to sometimes put things on that are controversial or different. I think this play fits in that category and we have about 40 people booked in to see it. I'll let you know afterwards what the audience mix is like.

Not every show is suitable for every person - some people like musicals, some like comedy etc. We're doing Teenage Gigs for young people - no alcohol and from 6pm to 9pm - once a month, I can't see many older people wanting to come to that but if they did, they'd be most welcome. We're putting on shows that are clearly for young people (Xolisile's Song) and we're putting on shows that would probably appeal to older people (The Virginia Monologues). That's not to say that people other than the 'target' market couldn't come and enjoy them. And that doesn't make us sexist, ageist or racist for doing that.

We are trying to put on a variety of things so that over the course of a month, that in theory means that there should be something for everyone.
I only mentioned the Civic Arts Centre because that's where I saw mention of the Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women. Who I'd never heard of, until last night.

Reading their newsletter angered and sickened me, because of the open racism it contained.

I fully support the Civic Arts Centre, and genuinely applaud the very diverse things that are available there.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote